Monday, June 19, 2017

Gertrud

Gertrud is a 1964 film, the last film directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer. The life of Gertrud wouldn't suit me at all, and I disagree with her conception of what love means. The movie is made up of more long takes than I'm used to, with long static scenes of 2 or 3 people talking seriously together. I almost felt like I could join the conversation.

I can't find a trailer, but here's one scene:



Slant Magazine says,
Gertrud is a film that is as richly mysterious and inscrutable as it is earthy and wry. It’s this frequently unrecognized artistic relevance that continues to inspire debates, wild interpretations and, yes, frustrated indifference. This is not to say that debate and varied interpretation are the hallmarks of a work of great cinema, but rather evidence of a film that audiences still find vital and alive.
The New York Times found it dated even at its premier. FilmReference.com says, "She knows that her demands on life cannot be fulfilled, so she chooses to live in accordance with her inner demands. ... This is not a naturalistic portrayal, but a tragic one —Gertrud is bound for defeat."

Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 79%.

2 comments:

  1. When I think of long takes, the first time I noticed it was when I watched Law and Order. The characters would walk an entire block talking without the camera cutting away. I was always very impressed with that. Not sure I would much care for this one, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her idea of what "love" is struck me most. She ordered her entire life to be in accord with her decision that love meant a certain thing. It's such an extreme and bizarre view of love. I wonder if she'd really like that life. The images from this film are sticking with me.

      Delete