Sunday, June 18, 2017

Most Emotionally Draining Films

Criterion has a list of most emotionally draining films:
Cries and Whispers, Ingmar Bergman
Andrei Rublev, Andrei Tarkovsky
Sansho the Bailiff, Kenji Mizoguchi
The Silence, Ingmar Bergman
In the Mood for Love, Wong Kar-wai
The 400 Blows, François Truffaut
The Rules of the Game, Jean Renoir
The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carl Th. Dreyer
Solaris, Andrei Tarkovsky
Winter Light, Ingmar Bergman
I've seen the ones in bold print. I'm not sure I'd describe them as "emotionally draining". I guess maybe I just wasn't emotionally invested enough to be drained. The ones I've seen were all worth watching and even re-watching.

4 comments:

  1. I've never even heard of any of these. I feel so movie challenged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband had seen the Joan of Arc movie and Solaris and those only because I stuck them in the player one night. He hadn't heard of the others. Many of these show up on movies-to-see lists or are by directors I've seen something by. I see a lot of movie lists.

      Delete
  2. I've seen quite a few Ingmar Bergman films. I have to be in the mood--LOL! Now I probably won't see any more with subtitles, so I am glad I watched them. I saw Solaris, but didn't think of it as draining.

    If you like the Bergman films you should try watching Oxen. That movie explained a lot of me about my Swedish heritage and that intense sense of right and wrong--ROFL! I couple of these people could have been relatives of mine--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled Oxen, and it does look like something I'd like. I'm familiar with some of the actors, and the director worked with Bergman. I'll definitely keep an eyes open for it. Thx for the suggestion! :)

      Delete