Friday, October 06, 2017

Horror Western Films

I get a kick out of the horror western movie sub-genre. I'd define it as western at root but with horror elements, like a vampire, or alien creatures, or zombies, etc. Or you could consider them horror films with a western-themed setting. This doesn't include science fiction westerns, like Cowboys and Aliens. I've seen these, in order of year of their release:

1937 Riders of the Whistling Skull

1956 The Beast of Hollow Mountain

1959 Curse of the Undead

1964 7 Faces of Dr. Lao

1973 High Plains Drifter

1983 Eyes of Fire

1985 Pale Rider

1996 From Dusk Till Dawn

2006 Dead Man's Bounty

2007 Sukiyaki Western Django

2008 The Burrowers

2009 Blood Creek

2010 Jonah Hex

2011 Priest

2013 Dead in Tombstone

10 comments:

  1. I have seen two of the film's on your list, both starring Clint Eastwood - "Pale Rider" and "High Plains Drifter" 😁. I really enjoy westerns too and it's a happy coincidence that we have just watched "The Outlaw Josey Wales" tonight ...lol 😉. Thanks for sharing your list and posts! Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an obscure sub-genre. Clint Eastwood is a treasure! :)

      Delete
  2. It seems kinda of a stretch to call From Dusk to Dawn a western.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but there are so few of the horror westerns, and this has been the only thing close that I could find from the 1990s. And it does have gunfights in bars in Texas... ;)

      Delete
  3. Correction till not to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to check some of these out. I like westerns, not so big on gory horror but I like the idea of a zombie or vampire in the old west. I saw something recently that had that theme. Hmmmm. Maybe its not as recent as I thought since I can't remember what it was- or maybe we were watching Westworld from HBO as there's a western theme to that. I don't follow the show closely but see an episode every now and again to get the gist, but not know the characters. Happy Saturday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the original Westworld film but haven't seen the tv series. Have you seen High Plains Drifter? That might be a good place to start. Or maybe The Burrowers, which isn't nearly as good a film but has more overt horror than High Plains Drifter.

      Delete
  5. Recognise some of the names here - my Dad was a big fan of Westerns and horror movies so probably saw some of these! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crossover is an interesting concept. Westerns were so popular back in the 40s/50s/60s. I'm surprised there aren't more of these.

      Delete